Monday, September 27, 2010

Enabling Environment, 27 Sept 2010


Thanks a lot for all your emails and messages full of warm words of support; I truly appreciate your company and sharing all this with you makes me very happy !!

I think I’m going to write two little posts every day: one telling you about my day and one about some other day of the last two weeks, to try to catch up with my little adventure since I arrived.
So in case I run out of interesting stuff to share with you, that I really doubt, I can always send you Indian recipes, yeah!

Today was a quiet and nice day at Disha, the office close to my apartment. I had a presentation about “Enabling Environment” which refers to building an environment free from threats, which will encourage everyone to reconstruct their self-esteem, to find a new “family” ready to accept them the way they are, far from judgements or demands. Many of them have been rejected by their own families for being homosexuales or HIV +.

Each presentation is done by a community member (sex worker) supported by one coordinator from the technical team, those working at Disha, who act as translators in my case. So my teacher today was Sundere, a very smiley and nice guy, MSW. His name means “pretty girl”. After his very well prepared power point presentation, he spent some time telling me about his personal situation. His family and friends have all accepted his homosexuality and the fact that he earns his living on that. He contributes with that money to the family expenses, the same as if he was working in a company or a shop. I heard he’s a very good dancer so I am trying to have a demo one of these days. I’m sure he will like some of my flamenco poses!

There is a display of photos of some community members all the way up the stairs of Disha, with a little statement below each one. I have taken pictures of them and here you have a couple. The guy in the picture is Shashi, from the administration board. He often comes to my desk, just to see what I’m doing. They have a way to be very sweet and curious, very close and respectful at the same time. I was happy to see that they were waiting for me to finish the presentation in order to have lunch together. And for the first time, I had brought my lunch from home: a cabbage and carrot soup. Now, here we share everything that’s on the table, you take it as if it was yours. And if I don’t take it, there will be a kind hand just putting some food in my plate. The same happened to my soup, they all tasted it … but since we have no cutlery here because people use their hands to eat, we ended up having my soup with chapati. Fortunately, they liked it so I will keep cooking every day and sharing with them my delicious Spanish-Quebecoise recipes!

I’m falling asleep. No more posts today!
Keep well, big hug.
Valeria


PS: the other guy in the picture with a mustache is Lakshmi, the statistician. And the woman in pink is Lady PC Ratna, whose picture in on the wall ... and also below. 









Lady PC Ratna in pink

Shashi



Lakshminarayan, the statistitian




Muchas gracias por vuestros mensajes de ánimo y vuestra cercanía. Me siento muy acompañada y feliz de poder compartir este momento tan nuevo y diferente para mí.

Creo que voy a escribir dos mini-post cada día, para poder contaros lo que hecho en el día de hoy pero contaros también algunas de las cosas que han ido pasando en estos días anteriores. Así espero ponerme al día y quién sabe, igual acabo mandando recetas de cocina cuando ya no tenga nada super interesante o novedoso que contar … harto difícil que ocurra. En cualquier caso, si aprendo alguna receta os la paso!

Mi día de hoy, por ejemplo, ha sido bastante tranquilo. He estado en Disha, la oficina que está aquí cerquita de mi casa, todo el día. He tenido una presentación sobre “Enabling Environment” que es algo así como construir un entorno favorable, libre de amenazas y coacciones, para que cada persona pueda reconstruir un poco su auto-estima, que encuentren una “familia” que los acepte tal como son, que no se vean juzgados u obligados a rendir cuentas (y dineros) a otros. Muchos de ellos han sido rechazados por sus familias, por ser homosexuales por ejemplo, o por ser VIH +.

Cada presentación la hace un miembro de la comunidad (un sex worker) junto con un coordinador del equipo técnico, los que están aquí en Disha. En mi caso, es el coordinador el que me traduce. La de hoy la ha hecho Sundere, un chico MSW muy simpático y sonriente. Su nombre significa “chica bonita”. Además de la presentación en power point, al final me ha dado más detalles sobre su caso personal. En su familia han aceptado que sea homosexual y saben que gana dinero trabajando como tal. Y con ese dinero ayuda a sus padres en los gastos, igual que si trabajase en un despacho o en una tienda. Además, dicen que baila muy bien y yo le he pedido que me haga una demostración un día! 

En la escalera que sube a las oficinas de Disha hay fotos de algunos miembros de la comunidad con un pequeño testimonio. Os pongo un par de estas fotos. En una de ellas sale también un chico, Shashi, de la administración. De vez en cuando se acerca a mi mesa, para ver qué hago. Son muy curiosos pero muy cariñosos también. Hoy me esperaban para comer juntos y por primera vez he traído mi comida de casa: una sopa de repollo con zanahoria. Pues como aquí todo es de todos, he compartido mi sopa, que ellos se la han tomado con la mano o con chapati, o sea, había una cuchara para 6 que éramos, porque en realidad, los cubiertos no se usan, se come con las manos y punto. Mi sopa les ha gustado  J  así que ahora me toca seguir cocinando para compartir.

Me caigo de sueño. Hoy no escribo más.
Besos!
Valeria



PD: el otro que sale en las fotos, con bigote, es Lakshmi, el que hace las estadísticas. Y de las dos mujeres, la de rosa, es Lady PC Ratna, cuya foto y testimonio está en la pared ... y en este blog.



No comments:

Post a Comment